Report to: Brent Wettlaufer, Underground Studio Coordinator
Description of the Position: Preparing for The Underground Studio's launch in November 2016, THEMUSEUM is looking for interested candidates to aid with new STEAM-based programming streams being offered at THEMUSEUM. The Underground Studio Inventor assists the Makerspace Coordinator and other Underground Studio staff with running exploratory programming for families. Every second Wednesday of the month features a different skill to teach, from learning to use a scroll saw for precision woodworking to programming an Arduino microcontroller. Candidates should be passionate about learning by doing and interested in both teaching skills to students along with learning new skills, themselves.
Time Commitment: Second or Third Wednesday of the month, 6pm-9pm. 3 hours per month + Periodic Training
- Assist the Underground Studio Coordinator and associated staff with preparing space for visitor use.
- Administrate activity components and ensure that tasks are being performed safely.
- Communicate with audiences and foster an open, collaborative environment.
- Perform safe cleaning of the Underground Studio space at the end of the evening.
- Basic to Intermediate Crafting (electronics, woodworking, and/or programming skills.)
- Experience working with children or a willingness to learn how to work with children.
- A demonstrated interest in Maker culture.
- Good oral communication skills, with an emphasis on communicating technical information in an accessible manner.
- A willingness to learn about new and emerging technologies.
- Safe operating procedures for equipment in The Underground Studio.
- Technical communication of information to audiences.
- Ongoing exposure to new methodologies in making.
- Basic use of various tools, including, but not limited to: soldering iron, scroll saw, hammers, screwdrivers, 3D printer, hot glue gun, dremel tool, power drill, chisel and rasp, measurement devices, and others.
- Basic use of various software programs, including, but not limited to: Tinkercad, Scratch, Arduino IDE, Alice, GIMP, Inkscape, Cubicreator, qucs, 123D suite, and others.
Explore Other Underground Studio Positions