SEARCHING FOR TOM | Tom Thomson: Man, Myth, and Masterworks
SEARCHING FOR TOM will lead visitors through Thomson’s life and mysterious death, his influence on Canadian art, and how contemporary artists are now interpreting his landscapes.
Thomson ultimately changed and defined the way Canadians view our nation, which has resulted in numerous interpretations through multimedia art. THEMUSEUM hopes to bring awareness of Thomson to new generations and new Canadians as we all continue to search for Tom. Visitors are invited to discover each thematic area of this exhibition which uses objects, moving images and sound to give a rich atmosphere of Thomson’s inspiration. Hands-on activities and opportunities for play will be designed to make the exhibition exciting for youth and families.
Almost 100 years after his death, Canadians are still ‘Searching for Tom’. This winter, THEMUSEUM invites the country to join the search and rediscover this iconic Canadian artist.
This exhibition will include:
- Over 100 works of art by Thomson, the Group of Seven and contemporary artists
- Seldom seen works from private collectors
- Cultural partnerships and loans from supporting galleries including:
- Art Gallery of Ontario
- Canadian Canoe Museum
- Grimsby Art Gallery
- Homer Watson House & Gallery
- McMichael Canadian Art Collection
- National Gallery of Canada
- Robert McLaughlin Gallery
- Tom Thomson Art Gallery