Join THEMUSEUM’s team!
Our culture is creativity and innovation. Previous work experience required to join THEMUSEUM team? Childhood dreams.
Here, the bottom line is to awe, inspire and enlighten. After all, a museum built on imagination and wonder means the work will always be interesting.
THEMUSEUM volunteers contribute to every aspect and activity that happens within our space. As a volunteer, you will have the opportunity to promote and support THEMUSEUM’s vision to “awe, inspire, and enlighten” by creating a fun and interactive environment for visitors!Volunteer Gallery Interpreter
Position Name: Volunteer Gallery Interpreter
NOTE: A current Police Background Check is required. A letter of request from THEMUSEUM is required and will be provided to you after the interview.
THEMUSEUM is looking for energetic, bright, and artistic volunteers to join our team!
As a Volunteer Gallery Interpreter, you will get involved in important functions of our upcoming summer and fall exhibitions. These tasks could include exhibition security, directing traffic, interpreting artifacts, and promoting THEMUSEUM’s Vision “To awe, inspire and enlighten” by interacting and answering visitors’ questions.
These exhibits feature a range of topics such as space, climate change, film/tv, photography and the five senses.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work alongside Interpreters (THEMUSEUM floor-staff) and other volunteers by providing excellent customer service to guests.
- Public-facing role, expected to be able to converse & interact with guests including:
- Directing traffic within the exhibition
- Answering guest questions
- Providing information on the exhibition experience
- Explain or interpret objects within the exhibition(s)
- Provide additional security to artifacts
- Attend all orientation and training sessions
- Work as a team member with staff and volunteers
- Purchase a volunteer shirt to wear on duty
- Applicants must be 14 years or older
- Consistent commitment of at least 3 hours weekly for a minimum of three months
- Customer service experience is an asset
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are an asset
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Able to work well as part of a team under the direction and supervision of staff
- A current Police Background Check is required
EFFORT – PHYSICAL AND SENSORY
- Time spent actively listening
- Some sites will be playing audio/music related to the subject matter and may create a louder environment
- Must be comfortable standing for periods of time
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 10lbs
In return, volunteers will receive:
- Free parking at THEMUSEUM for weekly shifts
- First access to the exhibitions as a volunteer
- Reference letter
- Access to numerous other attractions in Ontario at a discount with Perkopolis
- Ongoing recognition and invitations to special events
- You will have fun, meet new people of all backgrounds, and learn a lot!
For the health and wellbeing of THEMUSEUM’s staff and guests we follow extensive COVID safety protocols and policies. Due to the high exposure and interaction that our team has to the public and children, we are asking that all our staff and volunteers be vaccinated.
To apply for this position, please reach out to: Kyla Wright, Volunteer Coordinator email@example.com
THEMUSEUM strives to promote diversity in the workplace by considering all future volunteers without regard to race, religion, colour, age, sex, national origin, sexual identity, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, or any other minority. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
THEMUSEUM will accommodate all applicants as required by human rights legislation and the AODA.
We thank all interested applicants. However, THEMUSEUM will contact only those candidates to be interviewed. No phone calls please.
THEMUSEUM’s vision is to awe, inspire and enlighten and as such stages permanent and travelling exhibitions for both children and adults. Located in downtown Kitchener, THEMUSEUM is a charitable organization offering a unique blend of art and technology at play and provides an opportunity for children and adults to learn in a fun, imaginative, non-traditional, creative environment. We encourage you to visit our website at www.THEMUSEUM.ca.
Internships & Co-ops
THEMUSEUM is the perfect place for students to complete their internships or co-operative placements. Successful THEMUSEUM interns have come from all areas of study, including education, public relations and advertising, event management, digital media, arts, administration, and more!